Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I'm (not) in the mood for love

Ok this is not the bitter divorced non-dating girl in me coming out. But I think Valentines day is a sham.

I have never been big on Valentines. Don't get me wrong, I am a hopeless romantic. Really hopeless. I think up the cheesiest romantic situations, I should write some chick flicks. Seriously. And yes the girl in me is always secretly hoping for a big huge display of flowers delivered to me on Valentines day...at work...so I can make all the other girls jealous.

But seriously why does everyone freak the freak out over Vday? For real, get a sweet card, make me a nice dinner and call it a day. Why do we feel the need to make such a big deal over a made up holiday?

Why? Because its the one day out of the year that all of us follow the golden rule. You know the one we all learned when we were 5? Do onto others as you would have done onto you.  But why do we wait for the one magically day? And seriously ONE day? That's all we get for romance? Shouldn't we be showing our loved ones how much we love them more often than one day out of the year?

I don't know where I'm going with this post today. I'm just irritated with how much we commercialize love. And with Valentines day fast approaching (totally off the topic but can y'all believe its already February?? Damn!), its just all thrown in my face and it almost makes me want to throw up. Really.

No comments: