Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Say what you need to say

I have been drowning myself in music lately. Not any certain kind, just depends on my mood. Somedays its Britney Spears. Yes I admit it, I listen to her. I have for years. Somedays is Michael Buble. Beatles, Jay-z, Taylor Swift, whatever the mood strikes.

So today I have my itunes list on shuffle and a particular song comes on that strikes me. You know how usually you just have the music on to filter out the noise but you never really listen to it? Well that was what I was trying to achieve but for some reason I stopped and actually listened to the words. Say by John Mayer. Okay yeah so the boy has himself in some hot water as of the moment. But this song is so true. Here are a few of the lyrics:

Have no fear for givin' in
Have no fear for givin' over
You better know that in the end
It's better to say too much
Then to never say what you need to say again

Even if your hands are shakin'
And your faith is broken
Even as the eyes are closin'
Do it with a heart wide open
A wide heart

Its so true. So often we go through life afraid to say the things we really want to say. We get scared that we may hurt feelings, or what the other person may say back. Sometimes what we need to say is hurtful, but its our truth and we need to share it. Sometimes our truths scare even ourselves so theres no telling what the other person may feel once those words are out there.

I have learned many things in my young life. But very recently I have learned to be very open and honest with everyone in my life. Not to say that it has caused some heartache but it has brought me freedom. My friends and family know that they can expect nothing but the truth from me.  But more importantly, with being honest I am less afraid to share my true feelings as well. I am no longer afraid to tell someone that they have hurt me, or just how much I feel for them.

So in the wise words of John Mayer...I can't believe I just typed that...Say what you need to say.

No comments: